BSc (Meteorology and
Oceanography) 1974 from
· Grad Dip Met 1975 from Bureau of Meteorology
BSc Honours (Meteorology
and Oceanography) 1978 from
PhD in Science 1990 from
· Graduate Certificate in Management 1992 from Qld Dep Employment, Vocational & Educational Training, the Centre for Strategic Leaders and KPMG.
Publications: in scientific journals, conference proceedings, technical reports and speciality magazines.
Scientific and mathematical modeling and consulting for various clients. Examples,
· modeling for SARDI (South Australian Research & Development Institute) in regard to viticulture and climate;
specialist advice on frost likelihood with land change for PIRSA (Primary
· detailed training material for emergency services for Bureau of Meteorology;
specialist advice for CHRRUP in
· Presentaion of weather aspects for agricultural spray application for Chemcert, Victoria.
· Co-author of book chapter on Climate of SA (for PIRSA).
2001/03 Deputy Regional Director of Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) in SA
2000 /01 Supervisor Coordination & Planning in Head Office, BoM
1997-2000 Business Development Manager, Airborne Research Australia Pty Ltd.
1996/97 Senior Research Scientist in Climate Forecasting Group in Bureau of
Meteorology Research Centre (
1990-95 Manager of Climate & Consultancy in Bureau of Meteorology (SA).
· Formulation and implementation of business plans, marketing plans and budgets for Airborne Research Australia Pty Ltd.
· Negotiation of large commercial contracts or arrangements with a range of clients, eg,
USAF, UK Natural Environmental Research Council, SA Dep of Environment & Heritage, Primary Industries & Resources SA, US Dep of Energy, DSTO, Southcorp, Ball Aerospace, Medi Air in Malaysia and Lee Aviation in Singapore as well as with suppliers.
Purchase for ARA of
aircraft from US and from
· Co-author of university-level text book Dynamic Meteorology (published 1998).
· First Chair of AMOS (Australian Meteorological & Oceanographic Society) SA Branch.
· Paul McGuire Medal for Maritime Achievement 1993 (for work on winds off coastal ranges).
· Bureau of Meteorology National Excellence Award 1994.
· Initiation and establishment of a remote sensing capability whilst at ARA Pty Ltd.
· Development of the theory to properly understand the “Gully winds”.
· Development of the technique to predict seasonal temperature Australia-wide.
Development of a
technique to predict fog at
· Initiation or leadership of many collaborative or commercial projects at BoM, e.g.
– better forecasts of fog or low cloud at Port Lincoln with Kendell Airlines,
– climate risk management seminars for land owners with SARDI and Primary Industries SA,
evaluation of VHF radar
– heart attack incidence and weather with Flinders Medical Centre,
– air-pollution management system for industrial clients, and
initial impetus for a sea breeze investigation on